Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Duct Tape People

As a child, I could already spot them. I didn't know who they were, but they had their own presence, their own style, and kept their own hours. It really started as a curiosity, but as I grew older, I began to notice other similarities and could see a little deeper into their world. By the time I reached high-school, we called them MacGyvers, but that's not quite an accurate assessment, and at some point I coined the term "duct tape people" to describe them. They live all around us, in nearly every city in America, you've probably encountered them as well. In fact, you may even live in the same neighborhood.
Oregon, just like many other states, has a high population of the duct tape people, who work on their cars at night with flood lights instead of working during daylight hours. Maybe they really needed the car by tomorrow, I thought, not really considering the duct tape they were using to fix their broken muffler and cracked windshield. Periodically they hold great clearance sales, and downsize their stockpiles of "acquired" belongings they keep in their yards, and often door-to-door, offering cheap deals on "pre-owned" items. Their business skills seem almost like phsycic abilities, like when they offer to sell you a lawnmower at a very reasonable price, the day after you "misplace" yours. They have poor complexions and are known to drink more than they eat, perhaps it is due to their lack of front teeth. Like the crickets, the duct tape people have their own unique mating call, but rather than rubbing their legs together as the crickets do, they grind their teeth to make their own signature "chirp".
Technorati tags:
, , , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. such an original point of view...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's just something that's been on my mind lately...partly due to my up-all-night Mr. and Mrs. Fix-it neighbors...or the random lady in the area trying to sell an air-compressor. I still can't help wondering who in the area may have "lost" it. I don't know, maybe they'll be offered a great deal on getting it back!!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging the local Mt Hood area of Oregon. With skiing, snowboarding, hiking, shopping, wind surfing, live bands, resorts, movies, and much more to do, you'll never be bored in the Mount Hood area.