Monday, October 30, 2006

Small Town Fun, Big City Trouble

I think I've mentioned before that I grew up in Los Angeles, but if not, there you have it. So over the years, I learned to adjust to the huge demand for fun out there. So what's so fun about living in a large city? Well if you've never lived full time in a metropolis, I guess there could be a shroud of mystery surrounding the big city scene. But what I really found was that there are just different types of people. Here's the biggest example I can come up with on such short notice...RockFest 2005 (I didn't go to 2006, I was at a different concert that day, although I heard it was even better than 2005!) It was a pretty good show, the people were having a blast, there was a crazy mosh pit, crowd surfers, jam packed beer garden, and of course - ear shattering noise flooding out over the crowd, moshers emerging from the pit with bloody noses and mouthfuls of dirt and grass - yum! So how did it compare to a big L.A. bash? Awesome! The main noticable difference was the people, not the amount of fun one could have. It was great - and what was lacking? Ass-kicking, gay bashing, fasion police, power-monger bouncers throwing people around, multiple arrests (and hoping you're not one of them,) narcs, thieves (well maybe a few, but still - not the same.) Oh yeah, and at least one stabbing. Hopefully you get the point, I could go on and on about the things that happen at concerts in L.A. Parties are even worse, because there is generally no regualtion. But I recently unintentionally crashed a party (when you go in uninvited for those who think it's something worse!) and not only was I warmly welcomed, but when I tried to leave, many people were trying to talk me into staying. That may not seem that impressive to frequent party goers, but to someone who is used to not even getting in due to lack of enough money to buy your way in, or not being "dressed properly" to be allowed in, or just looking wrong. Believe me, it happens. Once in, there are usually so many people you don't know, unless you come pre-equipped with your own click, you won't be talking to anyone but the wierd guy everyone's been avoiding.

So on the chance that you are considering that parties, concerts, small town pubs, and just hanging with your friends isn't enough for you, just consider how much you really enjoy being with your friends, wherever you are, whatever you do. The attitudes of the people here in Oregon make it worth it - I mean, don't get me wrong, there are some really aweful people here, too - but it's just not the same. There are some really genuine people here, and the vibe is mellow - yet fun, and you can actually make use of the time to "take it all in". Whereas most people don't have a moment to spare, they are more important than everyone else - or at least that's what they think. Oh, and one more thing - if you ever do decide to take on one of those wild L.A. parties, make sure you have been well trained in checking for the Adam's apple, counting ribs, or checking the texture of arm-hair! Believe me, you'll need it!


Technorati tags:
, , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging the local Mt Hood area of Oregon. With skiing, snowboarding, hiking, shopping, wind surfing, live bands, resorts, movies, and much more to do, you'll never be bored in the Mount Hood area.